Monday, June 20, 2011

The Fox Diaries by Valarie Budayr -- A Book Review







I was thrilled when Valarie Budayr sent me The Fox Diaries : The Year the Foxes Came to our Garden, published by Audrey Press for review!  It is truly a delight!  It is both educational and entertaining.  I have always thought foxes were pretty and have always been thrilled when I catch a glimpse of them in the wild.  My mother also loves them and has a collection of fox photos, cards and knickknacks.  Let me tell you a little bit about the book.  It all started with a fox lying underneath a tree.  This fox was visiting the author for several weeks. One day she disappeared and later returned with four cute kits.  The momma fox is Momma Rennie, the quiet baby is Hulda, the two inseparable kits are Osa & Effie, and the hungry kit is Ring-Ding.  The book goes on to describe the ways the mother taught her kits very important lessons about fox life:  the dig, the hunt, and hide 'n seek.  Numerous darling photos accompany the charming text.  This is educational without being boring.  Anyone reading the book will learn more about foxes in a fun way. After the story, Ms. Budayr included a "A Few Things to Know" section as well as a glossary and resources page. I highly recommend the book.   You can buy it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powell Books, Audrey Press and Atlas Books.


Updated to add:  In my opinion, this is more of a kid's non-fiction book and all of the animals live! Adults will enjoy it, too!



DISCLOSURE:  I was sent a copy of the book but was not otherwise compensated for the review. The opinions are my own. I’m a (former) librarian with a life-long love of books and learning.


3 comments:

  1. Kelly, is this a kid book or an adult book or what? Do they all live? I get terribly depressed when "real life" happens and some creature dies. It sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good!! And I didn't know that you were such an avid reader... you need to check out my dear friend Staci Jo...she is a school librarian and she does awesome book reviews!! You need to check her out! http://lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com/ :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good book review. Thanks! (Which reminds me...I haven't done a book review in a long time.)

    I tried commenting the other day and had issues. Glad I remembered to try again.

    ReplyDelete

09 10